Sister Act Stuns Broadway

This past Saturday night I saw one of the first performances of Sister Act on Broadway in New York.  I can honestly say it is one of my favorite Broadway shows I have ever seen. The 1992 movie adapted flawlessly to the stage at The Broadway Theater.  It is a very funny musical complete with a talented cast.  The audience responded well to the upbeat dancing and singing. By the last number everyone in the audience was on their feet clapping along.

Sister Act hits Broadway and becomes a instant hit
One of my favorite adjustments from the movie to the Broadway show was the setting.  Reno and San Francisco were the settings in the original movie where Whoopi Goldberg played the lead but on Broadway the scenes were set entirely in Philadelphia!  Since I've been living in Philly for a few years I understand all of the references that included Rittenhouse Square, Cheese steaks, South Philly and even Wawa.  However, it was set in 1978 (before I was born) so I couldn't personally relate to the disco era but my parents who saw it with me said they did an excellent job of incorporating the 'disco fever' in some of their characters.   Whoopi Goldberg is no longer the lead but instead she is behind the stage as the director and producer.  Patina Miller is the new leading lady who plays the disco diva turned nun.  She has an outstanding voice and put on a stellar performance.

The catholic convent that helped murder witness and lead character, Deloris van Cartier, was the fictional Queen of Angeles in South Philly. You don’t have to be a Philly resident or a catholic to get the fabulous humor of Sister Act.  

Go see Sister Act on Broadway and you won’t be disappointed! 

Comments

Top Posts