Forever Grateful – Especially at Thanksgiving Time



Thanksgiving is a time where families and friends gather around a spread of traditional foods. It is also an opportunity to reflect on what we are most grateful for in our lives. This year, in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, I have a whole lot more than usual to be thankful for.  More than ever I have realized that the little things in life should never be taken for granted because things beyond our control can take them away from us. By little things I really mean the everyday important items that thousands have been stripped of after Mother Nature’s historic storm hit the east coast making life very difficult. 

I was in Philadelphia during the hurricane and even though the storm affected our region, I was fortunate to not have been directly impacted.  I never lost power and was constantly safe and warm with plenty of food to go around.  Even though I was not directly affected I feel so heartbroken about the devastation that my favorite Jersey Shore points have faced. Manasquan, Ortley Beach, Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights New Jersey are where my childhood and recent summer memories were made and now they are nearly unrecognizable!  
Watching the news and listening to stories from my close friends and family who survived Sandy with no running water, electricity, heat or worse made me feel so guilty. Luckily, those close to me are back to their normal lives but I know that is not the case for several communities still struggling to deal with the devastating aftermath.  

It’s really hard for me to look at the aerial photos of NJ and not have tears in my eyes. It is just so upsetting!  I will always be a Jersey girl at heart so I am going to try to help ‘Restore the Shore’ and stay ‘Jersey Strong’ while the cleanup and rebuilding continue. I plan to spend a few weekends ‘down the shore’ soon doing what I can to bring out beaches back to life.  


Comments

Top Posts