Remembering My Grandma With Alzheimer’s

Saying good-bye to a grandparent is almost like saying good-bye to a piece of your childhood. Some of my favorite childhood memories include my Grandma Lois. I have been holding those cherished memories very tightly because last week I had to say my final good-byes at her funeral. 


She was an Alzheimer’s patience also suffering from diabetes and then most recently from a stroke.  I miss her so much but that’s not how I will remember her though; I will keep  more enjoyable moments  with my Grandma fresh in my mind because I know that’s how she would want to be remembered too.


I am blessed to have shared so much laughter with her while she was here with us. She taught me so much about life and how to enjoy it. She was a wonderful baker and her picture perfect birthday cakes completed some of my early birthday parties. She would share stories of her travels around the globe inspiring me to see the world for myself. Her life was pretty amazing! She saw the beauty in everyday things such as the birds that she watched from her kitchen window. A close circle of friends surrounded her. She raised three wonderful children and watched her three grandchildren grow up. My grandma even got to her great-grandson (my nephew).

We used to spend hours playing our family's favorite card game, Scopa. Her luck of the Irish and her quick wit would help her win almost every time. Amazingly, she even remembered how to play the game after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I hope that no one else has to see a loved one have Alzheimer's in their lifetime because it's not easy to deal with.  

Please consider donating to the Alzheimer's Association in my grandma's name - Lois Scimenes. Your tax-deductible donation to the Alzheimer's Association helps provide vital services and programs for families living with Alzheimer's and dementia, and helps further critical research.  


 Click here to make a donation. Thanks so much. Your support makes a difference! 


Last photo I took with my grandma, taken in June, 2012 in Ft. Myers, FL


Comments

Top Posts