Standing Ovation for a Career in Events

{Career Intermission Part Two and Reflecting Back}


I’m reflecting more on the highlights of my career in the hospitality industry this Labor Day weekend. There is a misconception of events being glamorous. However,  there were several occasions where I found the silver lining of working long hours to feel like a guest for just a few moments. The sense of accomplishment after a successful event with happy clients and fans was like a runner’s high at the finish line. 


Working in hospitality and live events allows you to peek behind the curtain, literally. I met so many influential people at events and was inspired by many. Listening to soundchecks of concerts before the crowd filtered in was a real treat. I don't have the pictures or videos to prove it because in many high-profile situations cameras are not permitted. They were moments that I will never forget and am fortunate to have the memories. 



Professional sports is another industry I'm cheering for during the coronavirus crisis. Grit and determination was mixed into the recipe of a successful media event. I was at the debut event with Gritty, the Philadelphia Flyers mascot. He was introduced to the world with children cheering at the Please Touch Museum and it was fantastic. The energy inside the Museum was drastically different from the world’s reaction outside the building on Twitter. Children were cheering and I was taking it all in for the social media account I managed as a partner of the Museum.  I became an instant fan of Gritty! 


Concessions for a 90-minute MLS soccer game took weeks to prepare for and I thrived off the culinary team’s energy.  Photographing and tasting the new menu items before fans did was a delicious perk. This spring I was looking forward to working with the new Inter Miami CF but COVID-19 had other plans. 


Working as the on-site media contact for the grand opening of the Centene Community Ice Center, an NHL practice facility for the St. Louis Blues was exhilarating. Exactly one year ago today, September 7, 2019, the multi-purpose venue opened with a fan fare event! I conducted media tours in a hard hat during a heatwave for the pre-opening. I rode the Zamboni and toured the ice-making room and then shared what I learned with Rink Magazine. That experience resulted in a cover story for the national trade magazine! Also during the grand opening was an appearance of the Stanley Cup and I was fortunate to pose with it for photos I will cherish forever. Moments like that are what makes the extra hours worth it. 




Chef Jean-Marie Lacroix



Chefs Jean-Marie Lacroix with Chef Georges Perrier


I worked beside legendary Chef Jean-Marie Lacroix outside of the kitchen and was honored to have the experience. My main responsibility was prepping him for media appearances and setting him up for interviews. He was so humble throughout every interaction I ever had with him. The photo above also features Chef Georges Perrier, another Philadelphia culinary legend. In 2015 Chef Lacroix was honored by C-CAP for his 25 years of mentoring culinary students and Perrier was there to show his support. This is a reminder that the culinary and hospitality industry is one big family!


Above all, I'm extremely blessed to have met my husband in this chapter of my life. He is one of the most talented and hard working chefs I have ever met and I’m proud to be his wife. I'll take these unforgetable experiences and skills I have honed with me to my next chapter. I'm looking forward to what the future holds for my career.



Comments

Top Posts